Welcome to Year 5
Hello. I am Mrs. Watts, your Year 5 teacher. Year 5 is another very busy year and Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Robinson aim to make it as enjoyable as possible, so that you learn well and achieve your true potential. This is your penultimate year at Byerley Park and we aim to ensure you are ready to take on the challenges that Year 5 will offer you in your educational journey. Year 5 is a very exciting and challenging time for our pupils.
In our Maths lessons this year we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Place value, ordering and rounding
- Roman numerals
- Mental and written addition and subtraction strategies
- Understanding multiplication and division – written and mental calculation strategies
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Measuring and drawing angles
- Statistics (data handling)
- Data handling
- Geometry (shape, plus position and direction)
In our English lessons this year, we will be concentrating on the following topics:
In the Autumn term, the main class novel will be ‘Street Child’ linked to the Victorian topic, although a variety of other texts will be read.
In the Spring term, texts will link to the magnificent mountains geography topic, and Greeks in the Summer term.
We will read and write stories, persuasion/arguments, reports, instructions, plays, information/explanation, letters (formal and informal) and poetry.
Children will also focus on improving spelling rules, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary and handwriting.
Throughout the year, in science, the pupils will learn about properties and changes of materials; living things and their habitats as well as animals (including humans); Earth and Space; and Forces.
History, Geography, DT, computing and Art:
In the Autumn term, the topic is the Victorians. Certain subjects will be linked to it, for example, texts in Literacy and the work we produce in Art. Also, they will learn about digital literacy.
In RE the children will be learning about Islam.
Throughout the Spring term the geography topic is Magnificent Mountains, plus Crime and Punishment in history and certain subjects will be linked to them. Also, they will use ICT to evaluate information.
Other areas of the curriculum will be Art and D.T.
During the Summer term the topic is the Ancient Greeks and certain subjects will be linked to it. Also, the pupils will use ICT to learn about Digital Literacy.
P.E. will take place throughout the year. Areas included will be attacking and defending games, dance, gymnastics and athletics. Orienteering will also take place.
Online Learning Login
Things To Remember
- PE lessons will take place on Monday and Thursday. (PE kit to remain in school)
- Return spelling homework on a Thursday.
- Return maths homework on a Thursday.
- Return grammar homework on a Thursday.
- Complete a home reading book every 1 or 2 weeks depending on the child.
Reading – Please try to hear your child read as often as possible and change their home reading book every other week.
Spelling rules and words to learn will be given as homework on Friday to be handed in the following Thursday.
Grammar homework, to consolidate classwork, will be given on a Friday to be handed in the following Thursday.
Maths homework, to consolidate classwork, will be given on a Friday to be handed in the following Thursday.
Trips & Events
*Please note that these events may be subject to change.*
- Parents’ evenings: Tues 19th and Wed 20th October 2021
- Autumn disco: Thurs 21st October 2021
- Remembrance service: Thurs 11th November 2021 at 10:45
- Children in need: Fri 12th November 2021
- Carol service: Fri 10th December 2021 at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Year 5/6 Christmas party: Tuesday 14th December 2021
- Christmas dinner and Christmas jumper day: Wed 15th December 2021
- Carols by candlelight: Fri 17th December 2021
- World Book Day: Thurs 3rd March 2022
- Parents’ evenings: Tues 5th April and Wed 6th April 2022
- KS2 talent show: Thursday 7th April 2022
- Spring disco: Thurs 7th April 2022
- Summer Performances: Mon 11th July at 2:15 pm and Tues 12th July at 9:30 am 2022
- Reports sent to parents: Fri 15th July 2022