Welcome to Year 3
Mrs Blakey and Mrs Potts look forward to welcoming you into Year 3. We have many exciting activities planned throughout the year. Year 3 is a really important step on your journey through Primary School and making the transition from KS1 to KS2 can sometimes be a little daunting but we strive to ensure that learning is always lively, engaging and interesting.
During your time in Year 3, we cover a variety of topics. In the Autumn term we look at the Stone Age to the Iron Age. This involoves researching Skara Brae, houses, clothing and becoming Hunter Gatherers! The Iron Age involves learning about Stonehenge, round houses and the Druids.
During the Spring Term we study all things Egyptian, including farming, living and the afterlife. We look at the farming seasons and how the farmers got water from the Nile to the fields. We research how important the Nile was to the survival of the Egyptian people. When researching the afterlife we make a death mask in the style of the famous Tutankhamen. We often visit the Oriental Museum in Durham and dress up Egyptian style, do craft work and handle Egyptian artifacts. Our learning will be brought to life through hands on experiences and cross curricular links.
In the Summer term we look at the Roman occupation of Britain. We look at the things that the Romans brought to England that changed it forever. We investigate how they integrated themselves into Celtic society. We also try and arrange a trip to a Roman site to see what Roman architecture was like.
Online Learning Login
Things To Remember
Monday – Pocket Readers will be given out and expected back a week later on the Monday.
Friday – Children will be given homework to complete which is due back the following Friday. Friday – Spellings will be set on Ed Shed with a test in class the following Friday.
PE Kit – Wednesday and Friday.
Spelling test every Friday.
Water Bottles every day
Trips & Events
*Please note that these events may be subject to change.*
- 19th September – Fit For Life Day
- 17th and 18th October – Parents’ Evenings
- 10th November – KS2 Remembrance Festival
- 13th November – Hoop Starz Day
- 11th November – Remembrance Service 9.30 am
- 17th November – Children in Need Day
- 24th and 27th November – INSET days
- 6th December – Christmas Lunch
- 8th December – Christmas Jumper Day
- 11th and 12th December – KS2 Christmas production
- 13th December – Blaze Pods Day (fitness)
- 15th December – Y3/4 Christmas Party
- 19th December – Carols by Candlelight
- 2nd January 2024 – INSET Day
- 7th March – World Book Day
- 21st March – The Selfish Giant production
- 26th and 27th March – Parents’ Evenings
- 3rd May – Pickle Ball Day
- 20th May (all week) – Sports week
- 22nd May – Sports Day
- 23rd May – Y3 Festival at Chilton Academy
- 12th July – Disability Day
- 19th July 2023 – Reports sent to parents