Welcome to Year 1
We are really missing not having all of the children back in school. We miss the huge smiles, the laughter and even the noise! We hope that it won’t be too much longer and we will all be back together. Mrs Reed and Mrs Tyrell job share. Mrs Reed works Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Mrs Tyrell works Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Mrs Wilson works full time as the teaching assistant in Year 1. Children in Year 1 take part in a mix of ‘hands on’ practical learning experiences and more formal experiences. Our topics are ‘All About Me’, ‘Materials’ and ‘Famous Folk’.
Love from Mrs Reed, Mrs Tyrell and Mrs Wilson.
In our Maths lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- counting objects without making any mistakes
- writing bigger numbers
- comparing numbers
- 2D shapes
- making patterns
In our English lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
Children will look at stories and rhymes with familiar settings or predictable patterns. They will learn about poems with a pattern, write instructions, recounts and information texts.
- To begin to join some letters in handwriting
- To read and spell words containing phase 2 and 3 sounds
- To spell common words independently and use them in writing
- Read books from the reading scheme with accuracy
- Read books from the library
- Use full stops, capital letters and finger spaces in sentences
All About Me
As part of the topic ‘All About Me’, the children will learn about the different parts of the body and their five senses, including carrying out some fun experiments. They will take a close look at themselves in a mirror and create a variety of self-portraits.
As part of our Materials topic the children will identify and describe various different types of materials and make suggestions as to why a material is suitable for a given object. They will also explore and experiment with a variety of different tools to create different textures to show what material it is made from.
As part of our topic ‘Famous Folk’ we will look into the life of George Stephenson and also create our very own Stephenson’s Rocket. We will also look into the history of The Aycliffe Angels and what a day in the factory would have been like.
Things to Remember
PE Kit – To be left in school please.
Reading book – Two books will be sent home every Tuesday to be returned the following Monday.
Homework – Maths and a phonics piece of homework to be sent every Friday to be returned the following Friday.
Trips & Events
*Please note that these events may be subject to change.*
- 12th October – Hoopstarz session for each class
- 23rd October – Nasal Flu vaccine for all pupils
- 23rd October – Break up for half term
- 2nd November – Return to school
- 13th November – Children in Need (Wear something spotty!)
- 16th November – Assessment week
- 27th November – Inset day
- 30th November – Inset day
- 1st December – Christmas tree up in school!
- 14th December – Christmas week in school
- 15th December – Treasure Island pantomime (subject to government guidelines)
- 16th December – Christmas dinner
- 16th December – Key Stage 1 Bubble Christmas Party
- 18th December – Break up for Christmas
- 5th January – Spring term begins
- 12th February – Robin Hood and his Socially Distanced Merry Men (virtual pantomime)
- 12th February – Break up for half term
- 22nd February – Return to school
- 4th March – World Book Day (Wear your pyjamas and bring in your favourite book!)
- 10th March – Pro-Ride Cycle day (Year 1-Year 6)
- 15th March – Assessment week
- 24th March – Key Stage 2 Talent Show
- 25th March – PTA Easter competition
- 25th March – Break up for Easter
- 26th March – Inset day
- 12th April – Summer term begins
- 28th May – Break up for half term
- 7th June – Return to school
- 7th June – 11th June – Year 1 Phonics Screening Check
- 30th June – Whole school archery day
- 12th – 13th July – Year 6 Leaver’s Production
- 13th July – End of year reports out
- 14th July – Key Stage 1 Talent Show
- 14th July – Meet the new class teacher
- 19th July – Year 6 Leaver’s Service
- 20th July – Break up for the summer holidays