Welcome to Year 1
Welcome to our Year 1 class page! We have had a wonderful start to the school year and all of the children have settled into the new routines. In Year 1, at Byerley Park, we take part in a mix of ‘hands on’ practical learning experiences and more formal experiences. Our topics are ‘Animals including humans’, ‘Materials’ and ‘Famous Folk’.
Love from Mrs Reed, Mrs Tyrell and Mrs Wilson.
In our Maths lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Place Value within 10
- Addition and subtraction
- Properties of shape
- Position and direction
In our English lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
Children will look at stories with a repeating pattern and traditional tales. They will learn about repetitive poems, lists, captions, instructions and information texts.
- Read books from the reading scheme with accuracy.
- Recognise sentences.
- Use full stops, capital letters and finger spaces in sentences.
- To read and spell words containing sounds from Chapter 2, Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 from our Phonics Shed scheme.
- To spell common words independently and use them in writing.
Animals including humans
As part of the topic ‘Animals including humans’, the children will learn about the different parts of the body and their five senses, including carrying out some fun experiments. They will take a close look at the different groups of animals and compare them to humans.
As part of our ‘Materials’ topic the children will identify and describe various different types of materials and make suggestions as to why a material is suitable for a given object. They will also explore and experiment with a variety of different tools to create different textures to show what material it is made from.
As part of our topic ‘Famous Folk’ we will look into the life of George Stephenson and also create our very own Stephenson’s Rocket. We will also look into the history of The Aycliffe Angels and what a day in the factory would have been like.
Online Learning Login
Things to Remember
- PE Kit – Our PE lessons are on Monday and Thursday.
- Reading books – A new reading book will be issued every Monday, however, please ensure that your child has their reading book and book bag in school each day.
- Homework – Maths and phonics homework will be posted on Seesaw every Friday and must be completed by the following Friday.
Trips & Events
- 13th October – KS1 Harvest Festival 9.30 am
- 19th & 20th October – Parents’ Evenings
- 21st October – PTA Disco 5.30-6.50 pm
- 22nd October – Break up for Half Term
- 1st November – Return to school
- 12th November – Children in Need
- 16th November – Multi-Skills event at NALC 9.30-11.30 (pending approval)
- 26th November – Inset day
- 29th November – Inset day
- 1st December – Hall Hill Farm Christmas Trip
- 7th December – Nativity 2.15 pm
- 8th December – Nativity 9.30 am
- 15th December – Christmas Jumper Day, Christmas Dinner Day, KS1 Party!
- 17th December – Break up for Christmas Holidays
- 4th January – Inset day
- 5th January – Children return to school